And we’re back for the new year, with another amazing author! Today, we have the brilliant J.A. Melville here for Mate Monday!
G’day and welcome J.A Melville. Another Aussie! Thank you so much for joining me at my blog for Mate Monday. It’s an absolute pleasure to have you here as an author mate. I’d love to get to know you and your writing process a little better.
First, let’s do an author quickie. 😉
- Pizza or pie? Definitely pizza.
- Books or movies? Ooh, can I say both? I love books, but I have several hundred DVD’s.
- Food or sex? I’m single, so I’ll go with food. Anyway, don’t they say food can be orgasmic?
- Chris Hemsworth or Chris Evans? Will I get in trouble if I say neither? Still, if I have to choose. Chris Hemsworth since he’s an Aussie like me.
- Lady Gaga or Beyoncé? Lady Gaga.
- Music or silence? Depends on my mood. I like the silence at home but in the car, I like music.
- Xbox or Playstation? In a house where every family member has one? I’ve got to say Playstation.
- PC or Mac? PC. Nothing against Mac. Just never had one.
- Mum or dad? My parents have passed away, but given my father was a violent, abusive man. Definitely my Mum.
- Blond or brunet? Brunette.
- Abs or smile? Depends on the man. A nice smile will get my attention first.
- Kindness or good looking? Looks will get my attention before I know if he’s kind or not. I like kindness, but I have to like the look of the person I’m with too.
- Morning or night? Night. I always say I’d make a great vampire. I’m a night owl.
- Sexy clothes or comfortable clothes? Comfortable. I’m too old for sexy now.
- Softdrink (soda) or alcohol? Neither. I gave up soft drinks a couple of years ago to control my weight and I’m not much of a drinker. I’ll say alcohol though as I like as small glass of Irish cream before bed to help me sleep.
And some further questions:
- What is your favourite part about being an author?
Ever since I was a child, I’ve had a vivid imagination. Being an author gives me an excuse to let my imagination run free. Plus, it’s a great escape from reality.
- Is there anything you’d change about your writing or about being an author?
I regret that I didn’t start marketing myself before I published my first book. It’s been an uphill battle to get noticed and 4 years on, I’m still struggling. I’m also terrible at self-promotion too.
- When did you know you wanted to write stories?
Ever since I was in my teens, but I didn’t think I’d ever be able to write something long enough to become a book. Kind of ironic really, given my books all range from 110,000 words to over 200,000 words long.
- Do you have a favourite character you’ve written? If so, can you tell us about him or her?
I have many, but I’d have to say Shay Vidal from the last book I published in May 2017. Not only is he sexy, but it’s all an illusion. He’s known as the sex god because he’s so good at sex and women want him, but inside he’s badly damaged from an abusive childhood. He uses sex to hide from his past until Lyla comes along and shakes up his entire world. Forcing him to face his past.
- What’s your favourite book you’ve written thus far?
I would have to say Sex God because I put so much of my own life into the male character. Shay Vidal is a survivor of horrific child abuse and everything he feels and what he does to cope, is very similar to my own life. I too am a survivor of child abuse. I also love Dial A Stud, Louis’ Story. It’s my first attempt at writing M/M, and it made it into the Best Seller’s list on Amazon, and stayed there for 2 weeks. That was so exciting and mind blowing to me.
- Were there any deleted scenes in your books you’ve written? If so, why were they deleted, and would you ever share them with your readers?
I don’t really have any deleted scenes. Or any I had, I didn’t keep. I generally get rid of them for good if they’re removed from my books.
- How often do you write? Do you find it difficult to sit down at those times to write?
I used to be like a machine. That’s the name friends gave me. I wrote every available moment. In 2.5 years, I published 12 books, one being a kids/teen book. I’d just go from one to the next. I think because my personal life was unravelling, writing became my escape. Now I’m single and happy, I’ve relaxed a lot and write when I feel like it. I only published 2 books in 2017. I have a lot of WIP’s though and am working towards preparing another book to publish, hopefully around March/April this year.
- How do you find inspiration?
Inspiration comes mostly in the form of voices in my head. Characters will wake me, as crazy as that might sound, and scenes will play out like dreams. I won’t get any peace until I write down as much as I can to silence the voices until I have time to write the whole story. I had one book come to me while driving to the supermarket one day. I live in the country, so it takes about 35 minutes to get to the supermarket.
- What are your writing plans for the future?
To get all the WIP’s saved on my laptop finished and published. There are seven of them in various stages from finished but needing editing, to little more than a chapter or two.
- Can you tell us a bit about your book?
I have 14 published books but I’m sure you don’t want to know about all of them, so I’ll go with my first M/M book since I got such a kick out of writing it. My daughter loves reading M/M and begged me to write a gay romance with two sexy men, so I did. Dial A Stud, Louis’ Story is about a young man who has been disowned by his parents because he’s gay. His relationship ends and while he’s in a club one night, literally crying in his drink, he meets an older, sexy man who takes him home with him. Harry is completely infatuated with Louis. He’s older, rich, successful and great in bed. He’s led a wild past which leaves Harry wondering if he’ll be too boring for someone like Louis. The only problem is, it doesn’t take long for him to realise Louis is keeping a huge secret. The kind of secret that could destroy their relationship before it even begins. I can’t really say much more otherwise I’m going to spoil the story.
J.A. was lovely enough to let us get to know one of her characters too. So sit back and let’s chat with Sirene! 😀
Interview Questions B.
G’day Sirene Deaveaux, thank you for joining us on my Monday Mate. It’s always a pleasure to meet such a lovely lady. Readers would love to get to know you a little better, so thank you for taking the time to answer these questions for them and me.
First, let’s do a character quickie. 😉
- Pizza or pie? I spent some time living in Italy, so definitely pizza.
- Books or movies? I used to travel around a lot, so books.
- Food or sex? Once upon a time I’d have answered food but sex with Fabian is incredible, so sex.
- Chris Hemsworth or Chris Evans? Chris Hemsworth because he’s blonde like my man.
- Lady Gaga or Beyoncé? I’m a singer and I’ve sung songs by both ladies, so hard to choose one over the other.
- Music or silence? As a singer, there can only be one answer of course. Music.
- Xbox or Playstation? I don’t really play video games at all, sorry.
- PC or Mac? I don’t really have a lot of use for a computer these days. But, PC.
- Mum or dad? My parents were hippies. They died when I was a little girl and my Gran raised me.
- Blond or brunet? My hair is black but Fabian’s is a dirty blond. So, I choose blond.
- Abs or smile? Have you seen Fabian’s abs? But seriously, he has a killer smile, so I’ll say smile.
- Kindness or good looking? Nothing about Fabian is kind but he is sexy as sin, so I’ll go with good looks.
- Morning or night? The life of a vampire? There can only be one time of the day. Night.
- Sexy clothes or comfortable clothes? Fabian loves me in sexy clothing and I love to wear clothing that will drive my vampire crazy.
- Softdrink (soda) or alcohol? Neither.
Now, let’s get a little deeper. Mhm~
- If you could change one thing in your life, what would it be?
Much as I love my Gran, I regret that I never got a chance to know my parents.
- What’s your favourite quality about your love interest/partner?
Fabian can be an arrogant, cold, SOB. Trust me, he strikes fear into nearly everyone around him, but with me, he can be so sweet. He’s incredibly protective of me. I know he would die for me. I love that such a big, tough guy is putty in my hands.
- If your love interest/partner was asked the same thing about you, what do you think they’d say?
I’m not sure. I’m a witch and I’ve cast spells on him to mess with him. I think although he might deny it, it’s the fact I challenge him, that he loves about me. Life is never dull for us.
- What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to you?
It’s not embarrassing so much as a little humiliating to me. When Fabian was angry with me for the spells I’d cast on him, a few nights later he ran into me at the club, after a man there had tried to get fresh and torn my dress, he looked so good and he kissed me, but then rejected me. I felt like a fool.
- What is one word that defines you and why?
I’d say witch, because I am one, but everyone calls me powerful, because I can cast any kind of spell, or talented because I sing.
- If you could have dinner with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
My parents because I would like the chance to see what they are like, and to see which one I take after.
- Where do you go or what do you do when you’re angry?
I sing at the club and singing is the one thing that helps me if I’m upset or angry.
- What is one memory that will stay with you for the rest of your life?
I can’t give the details because that would reveal too much of mine and Fabian’s story, but the night in the carpark outside the club. What happened then, and what it led to, changed our lives forever.
- If you could change your life story, would you? Why/why not?
No. A lot of things happened along the way, but in the end, things worked out perfectly.
- If you could change how you met your love interest/partner, would you? Why/Why not?
No. If I hadn’t done what I did to Fabian, if I’d been nothing more than a body for sex and a source of blood for him, we probably never would’ve ended up where we are today. I made myself unforgettable to him.
This book isn’t the one where I’m answering questions as the character. Hope that’s ok?
This is my latest publication.
Book Title: Sex God.
Shay Vidal. . .
Women call me the Sex God. Why? It’s simple.
When it comes to sex, I really am that good.
It’s not my ego talking. It’s a fact. I get it screamed at me all the time.
Men want to be like me. Women want to be with me.
The thing is. . .
It’s all an act.
I’m damaged goods. . .
Lyla’s different. She’s dangerous.
She’s the forbidden fruit. And I’m tempted to take a bite.
Lyla Costa. . .
I’m tired of having to fake it in the bedroom.
All I seem to attract are Sex Duds.
Until my brother introduces me to his friend Shay.
A Sex God would make a change from a Sex Dud.
I’m a relationship kind of gal and he’s a one night only deal.
The man is hot though. . .
He’s sex on two legs. . .
He is tempting. . .
It would be nice to see what all the fuss is about. . .