It’s Mate Monday and we have the awesome *drum roll* L.J. Harris joining us!
G’day and welcome L. J. Harris. Thank you so much for joining me at my blog for Mate Monday. It’s an absolute pleasure to have you here as an author mate. I’d love to get to know you and your writing process a little better.
First, let’s do an author quickie. 😉
- Pizza or pie? Pizza, and it has to have pepperoni on it somewhere
- Books or movies? Books will always be my first love.
- Food or sex? Are you kidding? Food wins every time. haha
- Chris Hemsworth or Chris Evans? Hemsworth. I once met his father and let’s just say they have a great gene pool.
- Lady Gaga or Beyoncé? Gaga for sure 😊
- Music or silence? What is this silence of which you speak? Lol.
- Xbox or Playstation? Can I vote the old Nintendo 64 instead? Loved playing Zelda on that thing!
- PC or Mac? PC
- Mum or dad? Though I look like Mum, I’m my father’s daughter
- Blond or brunet? Is that a trick question? (Hairdresser just told me I am no longer a brunet so you be the judge)
- Abs or smile? Smile 😊
- Kindness or good looking? My first boyfriend was a gorgeous ass (had a gorgeous ass too, but I digress). Kindness wins the day for me every time.
- Morning or night? I’m a morning person. Love it when I’m up before everyone else and I have time to myself to write.
- Sexy clothes or comfortable clothes? Comfortable. And don’t get me started on having to wear a bra!
- Softdrink (soda) or alcohol? Diet soda for me
And some further questions:
- What is your favourite part about being an author?
That I get to sink myself into the characters’ world once in a while.
- Is there anything you’d change about your writing or about being an author?
I struggle with accepting that a first draft is exactly that, and hate that I’m a perfectionist, and therefore sometimes tweak a paragraph until I get it right. It can slow down the process.
- When did you know you wanted to write stories?
When my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer, I couldn’t sleep that night. I sat up and wrote down my feelings for most of the night. When my husband woke, he read what I’d written, and told me I should write some more. I’d only ever written poetry for family and friends up until then.
- Do you have a favourite character you’ve written? If so, can you tell us about him or her?
They’re all my favourites for one reason or another, but at the moment I have to say that Kade Hutchins stands out. He’s a man who has had it rough, his compassion for others and loyalty something I admire about him.
- What’s your favourite book you’ve written thus far?
All my books have been part of the process of my learning the craft, so I can’t really pick a favourite.
- Were there any deleted scenes in your books you’ve written? If so, why were they deleted, and would you ever share them with your readers?
I’m not one to remove entire scenes, just bits and bobs, so if I shared them, they’d make no sense lol.
- How often do you write? Do you find it difficult to sit down at those times to write?
I write mostly on weekends first thing in the morning as long as the muse allows it.
- How do you find inspiration?
Mostly through people watching. Heart of Glass was inspired by a man who cleaned windows at a set of traffic lights. As I sat there, watching him go about his work, I wondered how he got there.
- What are your writing plans for the future?
Working hard on marketing (and I use the term loosely because I suck at that side of things) His Personal Assistant, book 1 in the Men of New York series. After that, I’ll be finishing off a bonus scene for my re-release of Just Like Pulling Teeth. Next on the list will be Elixxir, Book 2 of the Men of New York series, then hopefully a Christmas novella. Busy busy!
- Can you tell us a bit about your book?
His Personal Assistant came about 4 years ago, when I decided to write a novel. The series idea came after I realised another story I’d been writing would work well with HPA. It’s essentially about a young man who, through circumstance, must find a job to help make ends meet, and ends up applying for something out of his range of expertise. When he meets Luke, lawyer and most pompous ass on earth, he can’t help but be drawn to him for some strange reason.
I do love to write characters who are snarky, flawed, have their own set of issues, and who need someone to help bring out the best in them. Luke fits that bill well.
L.J was nice enough to let us get to know one of her gorgeous boys, Luke!
G’day Luke Preston, thank you for joining us on my Monday Mate. It’s always a pleasure to meet such a lovely gentleman. Readers would love to get to know you a little better, so thank you for taking the time to answer these questions for them and me.
First, let’s do a character quickie. 😉
- Pizza or pie? What? There’s no coffee? *looks around for Kade and shouts, “Mr. Hutchins, my office, now!”
- Books or movies? Neither. I don’t have time for such frivolous pursuits.
- Food or sex? *rolls eyes* are you serious? Sex, of course. Next question!
- Chris Hemsworth or Chris Evans? Hemsworth. He reminds me of a certain PA who shall not be named…
- Lady Gaga or Beyoncé? *stares quizzically*Who?
- Music or silence? Silence is golden, especially when my cock in a certain someone’s mouth is the reason behind such silence.
- Xbox or Playstation? See answer to the books or movies question.
- PC or Mac? Mac of course.
- Mum or dad? *sniffles* Mom.
- Blond or brunet? Brunet, with a hint of blond, chestnut eyes, a tan… *sighs*
- Abs or smile? Smile.
- Kindness or good looking? I have both, so there is no need for me to choose.
- Morning or night? Both. I work equally hard all hours and expect as much from my employees.
- Sexy clothes or comfortable clothes? Why not be stylish? One must never look more like a rube than a rake!
- Softdrink (soda) or alcohol? Alcohol, but only when I’m stressed.
Now, let’s get a little deeper. Mhm~
- If you could change one thing in your life, what would it be?
*chokes up* Losing my mother. Not that it’s any of your business *gives hard stare*
- What’s your favourite quality about your love interest/partner?
That he, as he so eloquently puts, ‘calls me on my shit.’
- If your love interest/partner was asked the same thing about you, what do you think they’d say?
I never back down from an argument. *hands Meg a business card* Please, feel free to contact me if you ever find yourselves in need of a good defence attorney.
- What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to you?
I don’t get embarrassed, and am also never wrong. Next question!
- What is one word that defines you and why?
Pompous (and proud of it).
- If you could have dinner with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
My mother, so I could tell her everything that’s happened since she’s left.
- Where do you go or what do you do when you’re angry?
I once jacked off in my office when I thought no one was around. Does that count?
- What is one memory that will stay with you for the rest of your life?
The memory of my mother looking at me with pride at my high school graduation. There, now is that enough of the sentimentality?
- If you could change your life story, would you? Why/why not?
I wouldn’t. For all the heartbreak, all the walls I put up, and all that came along with it, everything that happened led me to someone special.
- If you could change how you met your love interest/partner, would you? Why/Why not?
No, and I doubt very much you’d change it either, if someone walked into your office, looking gorgeous and nervous beyond compare, and desperate for your help.
Book Title: His Personal Assistant
Book Blurb: At the tender age of twenty-one, Kade Hutchins is at a crossroads, having endured enough hardship to last a thousand lifetimes. With money tight and career at a standstill, he’s running out of time and options. The day he applies for a job that isn’t exactly in his field of expertise and meets his new boss, Mr. Preston, is the day his fate is changed irrecoverably.
Luke Preston is the kind of man others envy. Rich, successful and unattached, his no-nonsense, ‘take no prisoners attitude’ has made him one of the highest profile litigators in Manhattan. He’s also a man with secrets. Secrets he wants kept under wraps since tragedy rocked his privileged existence to the core. When Kade, a man some fifteen years his junior steps foot inside his office, Luke wonders if his heart will survive.
For those who love giveaways, L.J. Harris has a rafflecopter giveaway! You can win a $20 Amazon Gift Card. Check it out here: https://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/50f17079334/